Sunday, February 10, 2008

Coach

I am currently reading three new books, the freshest of which is Coach, edited by Andrew Blauner--a collection of essays about the various coaches and teachers who have influenced the writers. Speaking of coaches, I've had several who have influenced my life positively. There are also some unforgettable locker room moments. Including the following:

6th grade...I'm the backup center for John Wilson (a gangly six footer with a gap-toothed grin) who is the star of the 8th grade basketball team (no joke). We are in the locker room before the game. Our coach--Mr. Jones--comes in and notices that John Wilson is wearing the elastic from a pair of Fruit-of-the-Loom underwear for a sweat band.

"Wilson," the coach asks, "what is that?"
"It's a sweat band, coach," he says sheepishly.
The coach ponders the moment and then answers: "Then you'd better sweat!"

A classic line. I've never forgotten it!
Oh, and I wear boxers!

1 comment:

Mark W said...

LOL Sounds like the sweat band was a remant of an atomic wedgie.