Saturday, February 2, 2008

Peanuts

This weekend--during the Super Bowl--I plan to finish reading my 4th book of 2008: Schulz and Peanuts, the 650 page biography of famed cartoonist Charles "Sparky" Schulz, written by David Michaelis. This book has been following me around for a couple of weeks, as I've carried it with me and read spordically on the go. When I purchased the book, the guy at the register told me, "I've heard this is a depressing book."

Well, it's not depressing, really, although C. Schulz certainly suffered from melancholy most of his life. The saddest thing about this American life is the guy just couldn't seem to be happy earning upwards of $100 million dollars a year toward the end of his life.

Reading about Sparky Schulz made me realize it doesn't take much to be depressed. I've been depressed earning a lot less cash, and, unlike Sparky, I can usually find many more reasons to feel rotten about myself. In fact, who am I kidding? Between me and George Costanza, Schulz doesn't even know what a loser is!

1 comment:

Mark W said...

Did you see the Super Bowl commercial of a Macy's-Type Parade, where the Coca-Cola bottle balloon gets loose and after a wild chase, Charlie Brown ends up with the bottle? I wonder if the creators of that commercial read the Shultz book and thought, "Hey, let's let Charlie win one." They didn't go as far as to let him kick the football that Lucy held, but they gave him his props.