Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Hoosier Methodists

Currently I'm reading (what might turn out to be) the most expensive book I've ever purchased page-for-page. It's a thin little volume published by the University of Indianapolis Press entitled, Forward Be Our Watchword. Basically, it's a history of the Methodist movement in the state of Indiana, and tells the story of a church that went from being on the margins of society, to shaping the very fabric of the state and its institutions (hospitals, universities, etc.).

Reading about Methodists, however, always fills me with dread. Though I am one, I've never been comfortable with pieces of our history, and, at other times, feel a sense of worthlessness when my life is compared to those who made enormous sacrifices on the frontier. There was also a time when Methodists comprised the largest religious body in the state (much larger than Catholics, even), and this shows in the fact that today we are the only Protestant body with congregations in every county in the state.

Still, I'm worried that I haven't sacrificed enough. So, I wonder...do these count?

I have forgotten five of my wedding anniversaries because I had important church meetings or weddings to attend to.
I often forget my childrens' names because I have so many church meetings, our paths rarely cross.
I've buried a fair number of people on days my own children had important sporting events, band concerts, or school activities.
I once threw up after a church dinner where rancid pork was served.

No comments: