Friday, September 16, 2011

Johnny Be Good

Since John Updike's death I've been on an insatiable mission to collect as many first-editions of his work as I can reasonably afford.  Earlier in the week I shelved three new titles (actually all old ones!) including his third collection of poetry, Tossing and Turning, which was published in 1977.  This collection ranges wide and includes some of Updike's signature light verse and his takes on experiences such as sailing, traveling, and cuisine.  Of course, he writes on love and sex, too.  Other longer poems take us back to his childhood, including a lengthy poem about "Leaving Church Early".

But I wouldn't know about that, John.

About the only thing I can give my expert opinion on is the donut.  (Actually and officially spelled "Doughnut".)  But here's a donut poem I wrote some years back.  Makes me hungry just reading it.

Doughnuts

Among the sweetest treats of heaven
Are those residing in the leaven
And sweetened in a deep-fried haze
Of starches and syrupy glaze.

The soldiers in the German trenches
First ate these rings served up by wenches
Who donned their aprons at the vats
And served them doughnuts full of fats.

And now we eat them by the score--
And after eating, eat some more.
A holey great American treat
That's found on nearly every street.

No comments: