Friday, June 17, 2011

Yet Another Questionnaire

The word has not yet travelled widely, but in August, Michelle Knight and I will see Chalice Press publishing our book: He Said, She Said:  Male & Female Perspectives on Great Bible Stories.  It's a fun book, and features alternating perspectives (as the title suggests) on twelve Bible narratives. The book can be used in classes, small groups, Bible studies, youth groups, and for personal reflection, too.  Lots of great discussion questions in this one.

I also received my questionnaire from the publisher today, asking me some questions about who I am and how we anticipate marketing the book.  Ah, yes . . . if only I could answer the questions correctly!

I only wish that a publisher would ask me the REAL questions . . . the ones I would love to answer.

Q: So, does the name "Outcalt" have any significance or meaning?  Or is this just another weird name no one can pronounce?
A:  Actually, the name "Outcalt" derives from the German, and was originally, "Alt Gelt."  The "Gelt" means "Gold" . . . as in English derivatives "Gilded" and "Gold."  And the "Alt" means "None".  So my name literally means, "I have no gold", or, in modern terms, "I have no money."  It's true.  My ancestors were incredibly poor and most of them were mud ugly.  Have a look at us!  I drive a 1991 Caprice wagon with balding tires.

Q: So, who do you see buying this book?
A: Primarily drug addicts and alcoholics . . . or those who are too impaired to read.  I hope people will actually purchase this book in great quantities and will find it insightful and stimulating.  But then, I think Matlock reruns are fun, too, and nearly faint with excitement when I hear the Gomer Pyle theme song.  In short, I hope women will go ape . . . my photo will be one the back cover.

Q: Are you for real?
A: No.

QSo, what in the Bible actually inspires you?
A:  Talking asses, harlots, descriptions on how to slaughter a kosher cow.  I'm also a sucker for those passages in the epistles where Paul uses curse words . . . but you gotta know Greek to find 'em.

Q: What are your hopes for this book?
A: Royalties!  Actually, I hope somebody, somewhere, somehow can find something useful in it.  And beyond that, I hope to develop a large and faithful fan base (primarily older women) who will write adoring letters and enclose pictures of their grandchildren.  Or if someone calls asking me to speak at a bar mitzvah, I'll consider it.   

1 comment:

Michelle Kallock Knight said...

Hey, think you're talking about me?! It our book finally going to be shared with the public?! Woo hoo. About time!