Thursday, June 16, 2011

Magazine Subscriptions

There was a day when I was magazine poor.  I had so many subscriptions coming to the door I couldn't read them all.

But these days tastes and budgets are a bit more discriminating in our household.  My son gets Sports Illustrated (does he take it only for the swimsuit issue?), my wife takes Better Homes & Gardens (although we don't have a better home to show for it, and we sure as heck don't have any gardens) . . . and my daughter takes no magazines.  Zip!  As for me, I recently secured a free subscription to Indianapolis Monthly, I also take The New Yorker, and today I received my first issue of Poetry.  It's been over twenty years since I last subscribed, and the #1 Poetry magazine in America, published out of Chicago, has since seen a change of editors, a large gift from Ruth Lilly (wasn't it an eight-digit gift?), and a slightly new format.

Although I have not read a word of the new mag yet, I did thumb through the copious advertisements and "calls" for manuscripts in the back of the issue and noted that a west coast magazine called Rattle had a full-page ad.  I'm familiar with Rattle.  A nice journal, slick, highly-fashionable, and decidedly great writing in its pages.  The editor there has recently accepted some of my poems and I also received a free subscription to this magazine because I'm one of their authors.

Okay, so Rattle makes four magazines now.

Although I read many more books than magazines, I still get a kick out of walking out to the mailbox every day (120 yards one way!) for my morning exercise.  Opening the mailbox can be like opening a Christmas gift, or a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get!

But I'm ever more excited when I send my work to these, and other, magazines.  Getting an acceptance (and maybe a paycheck?) is even better than a chocolate buzz.

No comments: