Friday, June 10, 2011

Love Affair

There are few things in life I despise worse than meetings . . . and I've already had my fill of them this week.  I prefer, rather, to get my kicks through a morning walk in the woods, or lifting weights to the point of exhaustion, or a quiet evening of laughter with friends and family.  And I have also been known to enjoy a quiet morning or long evening of writing, too.

This past week, while I've been preparing for meetings or actually sitting in them, I've also been receiving other quiet reminders of my "real life."  In the past three days I've had two poems accepted for publication, have two new books making the rounds in New York through my agent, and have been silently writing a sermon, a devotion, and VBS "game" plan for next week . . . .

Toward that end, I thought I'd give my readers a respite from their own hum-drum or the drudgery of meetings and offer up this poem.  (Well, I like it anyway.)  Hope it might reflect where some of us actually find our solace, our aims, and our "re-creation."

Natural Selection

On this spring morning I awake
And drape the sunlight across my shoulders
As I drift toward the coffee pot.

The air, it seems, is charged with energy
And I am eager to ignore the tasks
My wife has given me to accomplish.

Soon I will be sleeping in the hammock,
A newspaper for a blanket, and a birdsong
Rocking me in the sweet arms of sloth.

No comments: