Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Dear Sweetheart:

Last month a friend of mine admitted shock and awe when she received my handwritten letter.  When I asked why she was surprised she said, "No one writes handwritten letters anymore.  Everything is email, Facebook, or cardboard sentiment these days."

I had not considered this, but she's right.  I receive few handwritten letters anymore.  But still, I write them.  I write to editors and to others who work in the publishing industry also.  I've learned that a writer can actually stand out from the crowd a bit by writing a handwritten note.  After all, most correspondence these days is electronic, and the Tweet has become such a standard expression for many people, editors are shocked when they receive something longer and personal.  Any twit can tweet, and most can't spell.

I learned how to write letters when I was in North Carolina.  My week was framed by writing lengthy love letters to Becky, who was still at Purdue, and for some reason, she's saved a lot of these letters and says she cherishes them.  Why I'll never know.

My love letters now aren't quite so passionate . . . it's more difficult to write about the treats after you know all the tricks.  But when Becky finishes her evening classes next week, I'll probably drop her a handwritten line praising her resiliency, her hard work, and her ability to get by on four hours of sleep each day.  I'll also buy her a rose or two and will personally hand-select her favorite variety of Hamburger Helper for dinner that evening.  But by God she'd better cook it.  I'll write a letter to this effect and describe the renewed passion I have for discovering her in a new frame of mind, and how I am just itching to go away with her for a day so we can read some books.  I'll take a photo of myself in posing trunks and try to get a tan so I won't look like a pasty poodle.  I'll describe my idea of a perfect day, focusing primarily on the weather, with a few other ideas thrown into the mix that might involve canola oil and licorice whips. 

Handwritten letters are important when a couple wants to understand each other and renew their passion.

And if this doesn't work . . . I'll just send her a text message.

No comments: