Friday, June 3, 2011

A Donut a Day

Q: What does the well-rounded writer eat?
A: Donuts.


Today is, in fact, National Donut Day.  Dunkin' Donuts will be giving away a free donut with a beverage purchase (I'll be there with bells on) and I do plan to be writing profusely here on Friday, my usual "day off".  I'll enjoy my donut while I'm churning out an expected five thousand words today.

The Donut is a curious food.  It is generally recognized to have been invented for the soldiers on the front lines of WWI, and hence the term "dough boys."  Donuts were quick, easy, tasty, and could be served up to the troops.  And if mustard gas didn't kill our boys, the donut eventually would.   That's the trouble with things that taste good.  They are usually not good for you.

That's why I combine donuts and aerobics.  I'm getting ready, even as I write this, to hit the gym.  I'll burn roughly enough calories to offset the donut I'll be eating immediately afterwards.  It's a ritual.  And eaten like this, the donut is, indeed, the breakfast of champions.  (NOT Wheaties!)

And finally, every writer needs to know the proper spelling.  Is it "Donut" or "Doughnut"?

I prefer the former . . . but most dictionaries list the latter.  My dictionary doesn't have a donut entry, however.  I ate that page some time ago.

No comments: