Monday, July 5, 2010

Writer's Block


Many people want to know: "Do you ever suffer from writer's block?"

Well, I'm not sure what this is, exactly . . . there's never been a time when I couldn't write something. But writer's block, I suppose, could also be evidenced in those times when writers suffer from uncertainty, depression, or even a sense of lackluster. I think I may be going through one of these times. I'm writing . . . some days I'm actually writing a great deal of material . . . but right now my focus is off center, my level of concentration seems reduced, and most of my writing (with the exception of some of the humor I've written of late) doesn't have the spark that I'm looking for. I don't have to have an editor to tell me this. I can see it when I read my work, and I can "hear" the lack of pace and persuasion in the words.

Ah, but here's the thing. This too shall pass. It always does.

The secret is to keep writing. Keep pounding keys. Keep rising early and working late and don't stop believin'. (Hey, isn't that a hokey song from the 80s?) Good Lord, I must be losing my mind if I'm writing cliches.

No comments: