Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Waiting Game


Seasoned writers have learned how to wait. But the most common questions that beginning writers ask are: "Why is it taking so long for the editor to respond to my query?" "How long will it take before I learn about the fate of my book/article, etc."

Let me offer, here, some perspective.

Here are some real-life scenarios that I am currently experiencing, and these are common as red punch in July.

There is an editor who has been looking at one of my book proposals for over a year.

Another publisher has accepted the manuscript for another book, but there is still no publication date and no word, yet, from the editor in charge of the book . . . and this is approaching a year also.

Another editor recently apologized for overlooking my "fine and carefully crafted article", but the issue of the magazine that I had suggested has come and gone. The editor again apologized and invited me to submit again . . . same subject, but different approach. (Should I do it?)

And I have been waiting anywhere from 3-6 months to receive word from dozens of other editors regarding the status of various book proposals, essays and poems.

Yes, it's a waiting game. And that's why the writer must write. A writer can't transform into a sedentary being who sits around asking, "Why hasn't she called me?"

No, that's called "the dating game." And I'm so glad I have a wife who ignores me.

No comments: