Thursday, July 15, 2010

It's a Small World After All . . .


Another interesting experience this week. After talking to a gentleman from Florida, he asked for the correct pronunciation of my name. I handed him a business card. His response was: "I've only seen your name one other time, and this was in a bookstore. There's a writer who has your same name . . . unless you are him."

"I'm him," I said.

Small world.

About the only experience yet to come would be the day I encounter someone on the street, or at the beach, or on the bus . . . reading one of my books. But I doubt that would happen. After all, people make the comment that they've "seen" my books in bookstores, or they have "seen" my name on a book before. But very few people say, "I bought one of your books the other day and I'm really enjoying it . . . it's changing my life and helping me to come to terms with my own demise, really giving me food for thought, changing all of my relationships . . . and, good Lord, how do you write so freakin' well, anyway?" No, this never happens.

I mean, that would be miraculous.

No comments: