Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Marriage Editing



Recently, it seems that I've been doing more editing than writing.


Now that my wife is taking night classes, I am frequently asked to read and review her various papers with an eye toward criticism. But listen, any man who would criticize his wife's writing is asking for trouble.

"How can I improve this paper?" Becky might ask.


"Looks great to me, honey. Reads like a charm," I say. Then I add, "It's fine!"

"But if you were reading this to critique it, what would you say?"

It's at this point that I stuff five Kit-Kats in my mouth and mumble something inaudible like: "Mmmsstttuuummpppffffnnn."

No, critiquing my wife's papers is like making comment on her rear. I'm not going there. And not that there's anything wrong with my wife's rear.

It's fine.