Sunday, February 28, 2010

Leadership


Now that my wife is back in school, taking night classes and filling her mind with great and lofty thoughts, there are even more books lying around the house. Becky has quite a pile of books on leadership that she is required to read, and, since I never met a book I didn't like, I feel compelled to read these books also.

Last week I read John Maxwell's, The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership. Among the dozens of titles Maxwell has written (actually he hasn't "written" any of them, he hires the writers of his books) this title is usually considered his magnum opus. It is a good book, and one I would recommend to anyone who assumes any role or mantle of leadership.

Readying Maxwell, I'm always asking: Am I a good leader? Would anyone follow me across the street to buy a pair of shoes at Kohl's? Would my son follow me into the kitchen if I promised to make him a peanut butter sandwich? Would the dog follow me into the yard if it hadn't hiked on a tree in two weeks?

I'm not sure. It's difficult to gauge one's leadership capabilities. Which is why I'm always asking my wife: Am I good leader?

Usually, I wait until she is asleep to ask this question. That way, I can imagine any number of answers. And if none is forthcoming, I just write another paragraph. I let one sentence lead to another. That may be the only lead I get for a long time.

No comments: