Tuesday, February 2, 2010

January Blues


In early January I mailed out an impressive mound of material to no less than twenty magazines and journals. The first returns are now coming in, and so far, reviews are not favorable. I've had:
* Five rejections
* A couple "we really like your work, try us again"
* And one "I'll publish your idea if you can write about _______"

I keep track of all of this dizzying array of material by making notations on index cards which I keep inside a small metal card file that I've had since the fourth grade. It's beaten, dented, and a bit rusted, but the card file has been with me a long time. I keep it because my fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Wilson, once told me to shut my trap or she would send me down to the principal's office (Mr. Huffman) for a couple of whacks. At the end of my fourth grade education, Mrs. Wilson gave me the card file and told me to get my life organized or I would end up a delinquent. I didn't know what a delinquent was, but I liked the sound of it, and it sure as heck beats what I do most days.

I keep the card file handy so I can record rejections and keep a running tally of how many people hate my guts and can't stand the sight of my name in the top left hand corner of a manuscript.

It also helps to have a record of these rejections so that, later, should one of these editors accept one of my essays, articles, or columns, I can look back with pride and say, "You know, you turned me down forty-seven times before you said 'yes'. You remind me of my wife!"

Which reminds me, I have another card file somewhere around the house with Becky's name in it. I'm keeping tabs on her, too!

No comments: