Tuesday, August 25, 2009

On the Air


A couple of weeks ago I did a small run of radio interviews as part of a promo for Your Beautiful Wedding on Any Budget. None of these were "in studio", thank God, but in two instances I had to get up very early to do a drive-time morning show on the east coast.

One of these was a Christian talk-show hosted by an "ex-pastor" who, at one point, got on his soap box. "You know," he said, "when I was pastoring, I always found it amazing that people would have a ten-thousand dollar wedding, but wouldn't pay the pastor anything for the counsel, the planning, and the officiating of the ceremony. That ever happen to you?"

"Yeah," I said. "Happens all the time."

"I had a philosophy that the couple should pay the pastor at least what they paid for their cake. We're worth cake ain't we? I mean, they buy a two thousand dollar cake, they should write us a two thousand dollar check."

"Sounds good to me," I said. "But I don't see that happening today."

"Well, brother, you write good books and articles for brides, but I think you need a new title telling pastors how they can create a living by making wedding cakes. That's where the money is, brother."

"Amen," I said. "Cake sounds better, cause I know it ain't in writing books, either."

No comments: