Saturday, August 8, 2009

Love Boat: Second Poem


(Our stateroom friend, with pouch envy.)
It's a well-known fact that Shakespeare wrote sonnets. The sonnet is an old English poetic form most commonly used to express love. I write sonnets, too. Lots of them. And as we approached day four at sea, I slipped this baby into the mix.


This Lovely Sonnet

The purpose of this lovely poem, dear
Is meant to prove that I can still write sonnets
And choose a word that I can make stand on its
Head. Kind of odd, though not all-together queer

To use a word like “queer” when I’m not gay,
Though I can lift a pinkie and a glass
And maybe even kiss your lips and pass
My love along, though really who’s to say

That guys like me need to recite poetry
When all they really need to do is tell
A woman how she really makes him feel?
But anyway . . . that’s not you, it’s me!

But will your love for me continue to explode
Since I wrote this sonnet from a Seinfeld episode?

No comments: