Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Folgers & Me



Increasingly I find myself writing very early in the morning. I have discovered that I am frequently wiped out by midnight and just don't have the energy or stamina to write on into the night. So mornings have become my new writing venue.

Writing before the sun comes up, however, has its challenges. First, a plan must be in place: what will I accomplish in a few hours before the sun rises? Where are my notes? How quickly can I write? Will I be relaxed, or must I write at a furious pace to meet a deadline?

And then there is the coffee to consider. Now, I don't know about you . . . but Folgers just doesn't cut it. Sure, it's cheap. But that's why it's no good. I need a coffee that will curl my chest hairs, yank them out, even . . . or turn the gray hairs black again. I need a coffee that will tan my hide.

Becky and I purchased a half dozen coffees in Puerto Rico, and most of them have been of this variety.

So, if you see me later in the morning and I look like I have been working for five hours or so, or haven't shaved, or showered, or even changed clothing from the day before . . . it's probably because I have already put in a full day's work, and indeed, I haven't showered, shaved or changed clothing.

But I did drink coffee.

No comments: