Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Edge of the Universe


It's been about a month now since I blogged about anything of substance in regard to my reading and writing, but much has happened at both ends of this spectrum in the past four weeks. First, a couple of weeks ago I finished reading Richard Preston's incredibly fascinating book on astronomers and the search for the edge of the universe. Title: First Light.

I've always appreciated Preston's gift of taking arcane subjects and making them interesting. I first became acquainted with Preston a few years ago when his book, The Hot Zone, became a bestseller, and a few years ago I enjoyed reading his other book, The Tall Trees.

First Light is the best science book I've read this year, and I learned much about the Hale Telescope in California, the search for quasars and comets, and the quirky scientists who spend their nights searching the heavens for new lights and new insights into the beginning of the universe.

And, for those who have ever wondered . . . how in the world does a telescope work, anyway? . . . you can't go wrong with this book. And if you really want to get into the book, try reading it at night under a full dome of stars.

No comments: