Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Love Boat: First Poem


Before our cruise, I had also hacked out an ample supply of love poems for Becky . . . the kind of poems she has come to expect from me over the years. Poems filled with passion and longing. Such as this one:


“I DO”

Sometimes it seems like yesterday,
And sometimes years a few
When we walked down the aisle, my dear,
And I said my first “I do”.

And since that day I’ve said “I do”
More times than I can count.
In fact, I say it my sleep,
And have lost track of the amount.

I say, “I do” each time you ask,
“Have you got a hundred dollars?”
And I say it when you ask if I
Have rings around my collars.

I say it when you ask if I
Have cooked the evening meal,
And I say it when you ask at night
If I want to cop a feel.

I say “I do” each morning
When you scream my blessed name
And I say “I do” each time you ask
If I am the one to blame.

I say “I do” each time you ask,
“Do you want to please your lady?”
And I said “I do” both times you asked
“Do you want to make a baby?”

Yes, dear, I’ve said “I do” to you
More times than I can add,
And sweetheart I’ll say “I do” again
Cause it hasn’t been that bad.

No I’ll never tire of saying it
Through the groaning and the tears
Cause darlin’ it’s just a habit now
After lo these many years.

So you just keep on askin’
And I’ll keep loving you.
Each time you yell for me to jump,
And I’ll just holler back “I do!”

No comments: