Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Love Boat: San Juan




(In Old San Juan. Me, the Sea, and O. Henry)








Our final day in old San Juan was very relaxing. Sunday morning we sat in the park and drank Puerto Rican coffee. We watched the children playing in the fountain. We watched the pigeons. We walked hand-in-hand through the old town, stopping at the occasional store or food stand.

I spent much of my reading time perusing a paperback copy of The Collected Stories of O. Henry. This was a book I discovered on my shelf before I departed on the cruise, and I noted that it had been printed in 1906 (old for a paperback!) and I'd spend forty-five cents for the used book. A bargain. Great stories. One of my favorite turn-o-the-century writers.

All I had to do on the last day was get Becky back to the hotel room for the last installment of my ten page love letter. But O. Henry didn't write very much about love.

No comments: