Wednesday, August 19, 2009

New Book


Yesterday evening, while rummaging around in the garage, I happened to notice a large shipping box propped in the corner. I have no idea how long it had been there, or who put it there (but our mail carrier has a habit of stuffing my mail in odd places). But when I opened it, the box contained my author copies of my latest book, $5 Youth Ministry.

Last night, while we were eating Chinese food at home and "celebrating" a 25th wedding anniversary as a whole family, I gave copies to everyone. The copies quickly got chucked, and I had to point out that I'd written something nice about every member of the family in the acknowledgments but I could easily rescend any favorable comments. But, since this was my 20th book, who cared? But I really thought my acknowledgments in this one was thematically clever. Some day, maybe my kids will read what I wrote about them.

The back cover of the book also contains a photo of me (taken by Andrew Attwood . . . thanks!) and a simple but elegant statement of what I like about teenagers. But the publisher missed a few things.

For example, around our house, I also enjoy taking all of the toilet tissue out of my son's bathroom. I enjoy giving orders like, "Mow the yard today . . . or I'll ground your sorry butt for two weeks and take away your cell phone!" I enjoy telling my daughter that I am writing a very large check to cover her Ball State tuition so she will feel enormously guilty and strive to make good grades. I enjoy making teenagers do laundry. I enjoy saying things like, "It's time to go to bed. Your mother and I want to make out on the couch." I enjoy ordering teenagers to bring me another diet Coke from the fridge. I enjoy . . . really enjoy, teenagers.

And that's why I wrote this one!

No comments: