Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My Favorite Writer

Every now and again someone will ask: Who is your favorite author?

I have several authors that I return to time and again--some because he/she can flat out write, others because he/she is fun to read, still others I read because of what I gain from the work. But one of my favorite authors is Bernard Malamud. I have read everthing he ever published, and all of his books stand like statues in my "favorites" shelf at home. Malamud (a Jewish writer) is probably the best American writer of the 20th century that most people simply don't know by name. He was a pulitizer and national book award winner and his writing was esteemed by readers and critics alike.

His most famous novel was "The Natural"--a book that was made into a movie staring Robert Redford. Some consider it the best baseball movie ever made. Among some of Malamud's short stories, all heavily anthologized, are: "The Jewbird", "The Magic Barrell", and "The Silver Crown". Many of his stories I have read dozens of times. They are incredible.

Malamud was also the epitome of a working writer. He taught college courses and wrote on the side.

Anyway, if you get a chance to read Malamud some time, give him a try. His work is much deeper and richer than this blog!

No comments: