Thursday, April 10, 2008

Keillor's Shelf

As far as I know, I have all of the books that Garrison Keillor has written (the host of A Prairie Home Companion). Keillor is likely the premier humorous in America right now, and I read one of his novels--Love Me--on the flight out to San Francisco last week. Sometimes, I laughed so loudly, people turned in their seats to look at me.

As most people discover (me included) writing humor is probably one of the most difficult forms of writing to pull off. Most humor either comes across as too jokey, too slight, or too vicious to get a laugh. But Keillor does it so well, he's mastered the art.

I also have a dozen or so of Keillor's recordings on CD, which are some of my favorite monologues to listen to when I drive long distances. I keep these at hand, many of them yet unopened, so I'll have his voice as companion when I take the next long trip.

Keillor is one of my favorites, and I've got a dedicated shelf in my library devoted exculsively to his work. As far as I know, I have his entire corpus of material, and I've never read anyone who can talk about burping and passing gas with such honesty.

No comments: