Sunday, April 6, 2008

Bryson's Small Town

It's good to be back from San Francisco...but I did take along plenty of reading material for the flights, the boat rides, and the evenings in the hotel. In fact, I read three books, all told, and several magazines. For the past four years, I've taken Mr. Bill Bryson along with me for the airplane/airport reading. This year, I finished one of his older books: The Lost Continent.

Bryson is a travel writer (so called) and this book concerned his trips through small town America. Funny stuff.

Reminded me of my home town in western Indiana where I used to play in the streets, press pennies on the train track, and otherwise create havoc for my parents and teachers. In fact, I might say that this book hit a target a little too close to home. It could have been me that Bryson was satirizing.

I've got four more Bryson books I have not read, but when I get to these, I'll have completed his entire corpus of material. So long, Bill. I'll see you on the next flight.

No comments: