Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Jerry's Journal


After reading Shawn Levy's biography of Jerry Lewis, I felt that I had to give Mr. Lewis an opportunity to speak for himself, and so I next polished off Dean & Me, written by The Nutty Professor himself. This is Jerry Lewis's personal memory of his song-and-dance relationship with Dean Martin . . . including their incredible show business relationship (has there ever been another duo like Martin & Lewis?) and their eventual breakup.

I'm not sure if I gained any new insights about Lewis and Martin from reading this memoir-autobiographical log, but at least I gave Lewis his due.

But there . . . I've read both books, and now I can move on to other titles. I've got some history to read, some novels, some humor, and a fair amount of theology and reference works waiting in the wings. By the time New Year's Day rolls around, I may have polished off the whole Christmas stack (if the reading gods smile favorably upon me and my eyesight can hold out).

Who knows. I might even watch one of those old Martin and Lewis movies.

No comments: