Thursday, December 16, 2010

Editing My Wife


This past Tuesday, my wife completed yet another semester of administrative study through Indiana University. For the past four months I've been serving as her editor-in-chief, reading her research papers, blogs and insights related to leading a public school. She has another year to go, but the end is now in sight.

Still, I'm not good at editing my wife's material. She always asks, "Does this paper make sense? Do I need to change anything?"

Heck, I'm not good at reading her papers. Papers with titles like, The Vomit Comet: Leading the Public School Through Flu Season or Going Old School: Using Whips, Leather and Chains to Restore Discipline or If You Can Read This, Thank a Teacher: And Ten Other Reasons Why Teachers Should Be Paid More Than the Legislators Who Make the Damn Laws. You see what I mean?

About the only thing I've been able to do well is line edit for mistakes (of which my wife makes few). And when it comes to offering criticism, I must tread lightly, for my wife also criticizes some of my writing, too. Most of her criticisms are much to the point: "This stinks!", "You're joking, right?" or "You don't actually believe anyone is interested in reading your blog, do you?"

But I endure.

And now that my wife has a short break, we can concentrate on more important matters on the homefront, like waxing floors, scouring sinks, and getting to know each other again. We're going to use eHarmony to find our level of compatibility and figure out if we have a future together. Both of us have lied on our profiles which, if course, bodes well for us. We'll be the only two sickos and I'm sure our profiles will find each other. But if not, we can always re-edit and try again.

No comments: