Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Write Night


After receiving an invitational call from an editor yesterday, I had to make a late night foray into the wild and wacky world of the book proposal. But I had a good run. In two hours I churned out a twenty page book proposal . . . well, at least the first draft. I had to check the time on this to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, but no, twenty pages in two hours it was.

I've become rather adept at these things over the years . . . and when an editor calls to tell me that she is open to considering another hunk of my mind, I know she's probably smoking dope, but hey, it's an open door. "How fast can you write up the proposal?" she wanted to know.

"I'll have it in your hands before Thanksgiving," I promised. "Just don't choke on your turkey."

Of course, the writing of proposals and the acceptance of proposals are two different things (as most of my many dozens of proposals have been rejected and are still papering my walls). Still, I like it when an editor says, "Yes . . . I'd be willing to take a look at your insanity."

And insane it was . . . my hands are still sore, and I haven't even been to the gym yet.

No comments: