Monday, November 29, 2010

Here's Johnny!


Sometimes, while I'm watching the Indianapolis Colts humiliate themselves, I have to read a book (that's most games). And last night I read the entirety of Ed McMahon's memoir of Johnny Carson. Here's Johnny! is a fun, quick read. And at 220 pages, half of which contain photos, it's not difficult to dispense with this sidekick title in a single sitting.

Although I may come off sounding like my uncle Luddite, I do believe that the day of classic television has long passed us by, and they don't make Tonight Shows anymore. Carson was a class act and many of my at-home adolescent memories with my parents centered around watching the monologue of the Tonight Show before bedtime. The routine was always the same: And now Heeeerrrr's Johnny! followed by Doc's signature band number, followed by Ed's finger roll and a quick High-OOOO!

I especially enjoyed some of Carson's characters. Especially Carnac the Magnificent (O Divine Spigot of Wisdom). Here Carnac would give answers to questions sealed in envelopes, and then, upon opening the envelopes, read the questions. Try a few of these memories on for size.

Answer: Chicken Teriaki
Question: What was the name of the last surviving kamikaze pilot?

Answer: Regular and Menthol
Question: Name the two best-selling types of suppositories.

Ed McMahon was never the same after Carson left the air, either. Publisher's Clearing House? Star Search? Give me a break.

When Carson retired, I stopped watching late night TV. I guess that shows my age. That, and I got married. And now I've got other things I'd rather do at night . . . including being rejected so I can write this blog.

No comments: