Monday, November 8, 2010

My 50 Photo Revisited


Photo: Glenn Howell mocking the October 19 photo of Yours-truly.





On my October 19 blog I published a photo of myself at 50. Little did I know how much this photo would be used and discussed . . . but here are some of the more interesting responses I've received.


First, Rev. Glenn Howell (see his photo above) actually used my photo as an illustration during his October 24 sermon at Zionsville United Methodist Church. A portion of his message centered on what could be accomplished through consistency and dedication. I guess he thought my Photo @ 50 demonstrated those qualities. Okay, I'll accept the accolade, even though most of my dedication for the past decade has been centered on locating the perfect donut. But I guess some folks are easily impressed by a guy like me who just keeps on going back to the gym every day for more punishment.


I also received several emails, responses and cards from folks who said that my photos were "inspiring" or "hilarious" or "incredible." I guess many thought, as I had hoped, that those photos showed what an old guy could accomplish with a bit of dogged determination, sweat, and stupidity. Yes, I continue to work hard in the gym most every day, and I do fully intend to be in even better condition at 60, but it helps that I don't take myself too seriously. If anyone, like my friend Tom Heaton in Guatemala, found themselves "speechless" . . . well, thank God I was good for something. I'll just keep working hard--through all the injuries and the piles of donuts--and look to improve as the years go by.


And finally, last weekend my wife ran into one of our old high school friends who had seen my photos on Facebook. It has been decades since we've seen each other, and she asked Becky, "Were those photos of Todd real? Does he actually have a six-pack, or was that a cardboard cut out he was standing behind? If those are real, I'd love to touch em."


Thank God my wife told the truth: "Believe me . . . the abdominals, the pecs, the deltoids . . . are actually his. I touch em twice a year! It's his face and personality that are cardboard cutouts."


Until 60 . . . I stand ready over the next decade to help anyone--especially kids who need a discipline or a healthy life-style path--to ask for my advice. But until then . . . you can find me at Dunkin Donuts. I'll be the one eating the black licorice donut breakfast combo after my workout.

No comments: