Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Letters


I've been reading Saul Bellow: Letters. This collection, edited by Benjamin Taylor, is an epistolary foray that I've been looking forward to for months. I ordered this book long before its publication date, and I'm finally enjoying reading Bellow's correspondences with other writers, editors, friends and family. This collection also reveals the lost art of letter writing. Who writes letters today that are worthy of filing, cherishing or collecting? About the only thing we moderns have are blog postings, emails and twitters. And twenty years from now, who's going to care?

It's refreshing and inspiring to read such well-crafted personal correspondence. But hey, that's just me. Bellow, incidently, won two National Book awards and a Pulizer Prize for his many novels including The Adventures of Augie March, Henderson the Rain King, and Herzog.

Naturally, I write letters, too. I hope my family is keeping them. I expect them to be worth big bucks some day. Who wouldn't want to read some of these gems?

Dear Becky,
I left a twenty dollar bill next to your purse so you could buy coffee and dinner tonight after your class. No need to thank me . . . I'm just glad to be your sugar daddy. You can pay me back tonight. How? You know how! It's time for you to do the laundry!
XXOO
Todd

Dear Logan,
Have you seen my marbles? I lost them again.
Love,
Dad

Dear Chelsey,
How much do I owe the Bursar's office at Ball State? I keep getting intimidating calls from some guy named BoBo who is threatening to "break my ******** kneecaps!" Is he one of your professors? A nice guy, though a little touchy. I'll write a check as soon as I crack some more walnuts and sell the jug of leftover motor oil.
Love,
Dad

Dear Bishop C!
What's shakin' dude?!
Grace & Peace,
Brownsburg Rev.

No comments: