Saturday, March 13, 2010

Wild Thing . . . I Think I Love You


Since January 1 I've written a number of essays about wildlife, including the pileated woodpecker, the raccoon, road kill, and more. Writing about beavers is next on my list. Or, as my wife asked me last night, "Why in the world would you write about beavers?"

My answer, "Because I can."

I also finished reading Beavers: A Wildlife Handbook, by Kim Long. I love these critters. Beavers are large rodents, and they fascinate me . . . due, in part, to the fact that they continue to chew down trees along the edge of our property along Whitelick Creek. Over the past three years they've felled over 40 trees. So, they've been busy. And after kayaking down the creek a few times and discovering where these beavers live (behind Maplehurst Bakery) I'm all the more determined to write about them.

Beavers have so much to teach us. Including:
* Even if you're ugly, or have large front teeth, you can be successful.
* There is no job too large for an industrious person.
* Beavers eat their own poop (well, let's skip this one).
* The family that works together can build a magnificent lodge.
* If you have webbed feet you can swim a lot faster.
* Always chew your food twice before swallowing.

No comments: