Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Weight of Words


A few days ago I attended a continuing education seminar and found myself embroiled in a couple of interesting conversations. One of these conversations was with a pastor who just couldn't understand how I had time to write books. "So," he asked, "Don't you find it difficult to write during the day with all of your other responsibilities?"

He was disbelieving when I told him I don't write during the day (except on my day off) but typically write early of a morning or late at night. "I usually write for an hour or two when I get back from my early morning workout at the gym," I said. "I work up a lather and then write for an hour or two . . . makes me feel like I've worked up a sweat at the keyboard."

"What? You work out in the gym every morning also?"

"Only for the past thirty-five years," I told him. "It's now routine."

The guy seemed miffed.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that, last week, I had worked my way back up to some rather impressive feats of strength. And this from a guy who turns fifty this year. But I've been working hard, am frequently the first person in the gym (sometimes arriving before the manager opens up), and I've set a goal to get into top condition later this year when I have birthday number 50. I'm doing it for my son . . . who needs the inspiration of an older dad who can still kick his scrawly little butt.

Last week I bench pressed 225 pounds for ten reps, and leg pressed 700 pounds for ten reps (try it some time!) and I have worked my way back to two hundred sit ups and scissor-kicks in under seven minutes. I'm hauling.

And better yet, I've discovered that all of this hard work at the gym is paying dividends at the keyboard too. I don't get tired as easily, and my mind is focused and alert. (The pot of coffee helps.)

The old adage still holds true: if you are getting low on energy, make your body work harder. All of those muscle fibers do respond, and the synapses fire more quickly in the brain.

At least it works for me.


No comments: