Friday, October 9, 2009

Writing Tools


I read a most fascinating essay yesterday about a writer's "toolbox" and what this should contain. The author was making the point that a writer should have an ample supply of high-quality pencils and pens, sufficient paper (lined and for typing), erasers, paper clips, stapler, and, of course, a nice computer.

I don't doubt this writer's sincerity and old-world nostalgia about the writing trade, but let's face it, writing has changed over time. Yes, there was a day (and not too long ago) when a writer might actually write with a pencil or pen on paper, and then revise and transcribe on the typewriter for a final version to send to an editor. But by and large those days are over. There are a few dinosaurs out there who still write this way, but that methodology won't work except for the very best writers who are older, already have an established reputation, and have a long-standing relationship with some old editor in New York who will suffer the typewritten page.

Sure, I have my pencils and pens at the ready in my office, but these don't serve the same purpose as they once did. And as for the computer, I am still a dinosaur, even, in that regard. My computer is nearly thirteen years old now and I'm still writing on it, still stuffing its guts full of digitalized text. I just brought home another box of floppies last night and I'll have these stuffed full in another 12 months. Old stuff now. Dated. Dinosaur technology. At last count, I had something like 400+ of these floppies. But the days are coming when I'm going to lose all of these, just like I lost my 8-track tapes, if I don't switch over.

But, just in case this other writer needs to know what else I have on hand, here's my writers inventory as I glance around the office this morning:

Fifteen pencils (half unsharpened)
Ink pens of various varieties, most leftover from Becky's pharmaceutical sales days, bearing the names of various medications.
One scotch tape dispenser with no tape in it
A stapler with no staples in it
100 new floppies ready to format
Post it notes
A small file box where I keep record of all of my submissions on index cards (way outdated!)
3 thesauruses (thesauri?)
2 dictionaries
1 Bible
1 Concordance
Scissors (never carry them with the point facing your body!)
1- 13 year old HP laser printer (still my bread and butter, thanks HP)
2 reams of paper
Paper clips (various sizes)
Coffee mug (now empty)

No comments: