Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Bridging the Gap


Somewhere in the vicinity of 1995 I was surprised by a phone call from an editor who wanted me to write a "portion" of a book for persons with mental retardation entitled, Bridges. I accepted, and learned much from this experience, including that "persons with mental retardation" is the accepted term used by all mental health organizations rather than the "politically correct" terms like "mentally challenged."

But I also learned much about myself in this experience, including some lessons that were instrumental in my confidence as a writer. Let me explain.

When I received the call to write "a portion" of the book, I agreed, and set out to write something helpful, practical and highly useful. Much to my surprise, this editor loved what I had written.

Then a few weeks later, I received another phone call from this same editor. She was hysterical. "My primary writer just called to tell me she can't meet the deadline for this book and she hasn't even started on the project. I need help! Is there any way you could write the rest of this book for me?"

"Sure," I said. "When do you need the manuscript?"

"Tomorrow by noon," she said.

Holy, Toledo! I was stunned. But I found myself agreeing to this hair brained scheme. How could I have the audacity to promise this editor a book-length manuscript in fifteen hours? But I did promise, and I did deliver. She loved it.

A few days later, she called again. "There are two other volumes in this series," she said, "and my other writers have fallen down again. Can you write an essay for these other two books to get things jumpstarted?"

Now, here I interjected one of the most warped and self-centered lines of my life: "Why don't you just fire those other bozos and let me write the entire three book series myself?" I asked. "Forget these other writers and just let me write the whole series!"

I was shocked. She agreed. And I did write the trio. Three books in three months--but these are not books I have ever counted in my "total" since my name is not on the cover of any of them. However, afterwards, this editor told me many things about my writing and about ME which I have never forgotten:

1. I am not the best writer she has worked with...but I am the most dependable. I get things done. I accomplish. My word is my bond and I follow through.
2. She had never met a writer who could write decently with such speed. "How did you write this book in fifteen hours?" she asked. "I stayed up all night," I told her, "and I typed like hellfire."
3. I have had many other editors who have called me as a last resort. I am not the best writer, they tell me (ouch!), but when the chips are down, who you gonna call?

Any other editors out there need it by yesterday?

No comments: