Saturday, October 31, 2009

My Charge Conference Report


Interesting . . . this is my 500th blog for "Between Pages" and also my annual charge conference report. This year, I just had to submit this sonnet for my "report". If anyone is offended, I apologize (well . . . maybe).

My Charge Conference Report Sonnet

Here’s a little ditty now, a charge
To keep I have: this report that I
Again must tally-forth, though it’s so large
That many now should pause to question, “Why?”

It’s been the same old tale since yesterday
When last I filled this out. At Calvary
We’ve grown, we’ve paid . . . who reads this anyway?
It’s just more fodder for the file, you see?

If someone needs to know what I or others
Here have done, we might have conversation
Over coffee, lunch or tea. It’s what our mothers
Would have done (and with some elation).

Don’t get me wrong, I love the church enough
To say, “God’s here.” But this is useless stuff.

No comments: