Saturday, October 10, 2009

Reading Chess . . . Again


Somewhere around 1970 I began to have a serious interest in chess. I played chess every day at school and several of my friends and I formed a chess club. Then I began reading books about chess and was seriously inspired by the great match between Bobby Fischer and Boris Spasky.

A few days ago I discovered two old books on my shelves. Both were chess books from the 1970s, and one, All About Chess, is inscribed: "Happy 13th Birthday, From Paula". This would have been October 12, 1973, and Paula is my cousin. Funny to think about it, but I had not yet met Becky at this point in my life (I was still in grade school) and these chess books occupied me for hours (while now, Becky occupies me for hours).

I've also read a fair number of other chess books in the past two years, but mostly historical and philosophical stuff: Bobby Fischer Goes to War is a book that comes to mind and I enjoyed reading it, and also How Life Imitates Chess, by Garry Kasparov.

I used to trade chess books as a kid, or give them away, and I still enjoy giving books as gifts right off the shelves. A few weeks ago, when some old high school friends visited, my best friend, Bryan, noticed the Bobby Fischer book on my shelves. Bryan beat me in our grade school chess championship and was the valedictorian of our high school class. Thanks to him, I graduated. But we used to play chess for hours on end.

"If you want the book, take it," I told him, "It's a great read."

"You sure?"

"Yes," I said, "I'm too old for chess anymore. Now all I can do is read about it. And once my eyes go, I'm really screwed."

No comments: