Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Secret Agents . . . Continued


(continued . . . )

Funny thing about food. When someone slides a plate of spaghetti and meatballs underneath my nose, I'm going to eat it. So while David is reading my material, I'm slurping up spaghetti like a fish sucking the last drops of water out of a fishbowl.

Eventually David glances over the top of my manuscript and asks, "Where did you get all of this information about Jerry Ford's death?"

I wipe away all the spaghetti sauce residue with my shirt sleeve, burp twice, and say, "Well, I talked to people at the Ford Presidential library in Michigan, and then it also helps to be a pastor sometimes. I was also able to interview a couple of pastors who were with Ford in the days prior to his death."

"This is a unique book," David says. "Why don't I take this one and shop it around. I've got a couple of publishers in mind."

"Super-duper," I say. I've now got a verbal commitment from my new agent, my third in seven years. It feels good.

I can't wait to get back to my 1991 Caprice wagon. I realize I didn't cram any coins into the meter and I'm probably getting towed even as I slurp spaghetti. But then I may not even bother picking up the car. Now that David has promised to sell my book, I'm already dreaming of being able to buy a used Volvo that I'd had my eye on for several months. It's only got three dents in the bumper, and most of the writers I know drive Volvos. Or perhaps I'm thinking of the GMC Pacer?

(contined . . . )

No comments: