Friday, April 17, 2009

Fairy Tale

Now that my agent blog series is defunct, I can get back to talking about some of my reading habits. I'll begin with this little fairy tale written by James Thurber.

A bit about him. Thurber was a shy and elusive creature who wrote for The New Yorker magazine for many years. He was part of the Algonquin round table that met in the Oak room at the illustrious hotel of the same name. His drawings also became popular with the magazine, and it is not so well known that he also wrote children's books.

The 13 Clocks is one of his best fairy tales, and is worth the read just to marvel at the language itself, the phrases and choice of words that Thurber used to tell this odd and intriguing little tale.

I've got a few of these tales myself that I wrote for my children years ago, but I'm sure no one cares about invisible elephants and a land called Tiddly Diddly. But that's just me.

No comments: