Friday, April 24, 2009

Beautiful Experiments


It's been a few weeks since I read a new book, but I did enjoy The Ten Most Beautiful Experiments, by George Johnson. This book appealed to me on several levels. First, it was not written by a pastor, theologian, or religious person . . . so I was not bored out of my skull when reading it. Second, it is a fascinating glimpse into ten great scientific leaps, discoveries that were made through experimentation.

Just a few of the names you'll encounter here: Galileo, Newton, Pavlov, and Millikan. They created great scientific experiments that changed the course of knowledge and helped to bring humanity out of superstition and darkness.

But we all have our own experiments, too, I suppose. For example, did you know that if you combine a can of Lima beans with a can of sweet corn niblets you end up with a rather good suckatash dish? Or, did you know that common household bleach works just as well as those fancy toilet bowl cleaners that cost four-times as much? Or did you know that if you leave a pile of dirty laundry on a tile floor for three weeks, it will actually grow mold? And, did you know that the Sham-Wow is available at Wal-Mart and CVS, so you don't have to order it off the TV add, and they really can "do this all day!"

These are just a few of the discoveries I have made over the years . . . and I am happy to contribute to humanity in this way.

No comments: