Thursday, November 20, 2008

Uncle Billy


Today I finished reading a book of poems by Billy Collins (former U.S. Poet Laureate): Picnic, Lightening. Collins is a great poet. He writes about the stuff of life . . . like having breakfast, listening to the children's song "Three Blind Mice", or gazing at a snowfall. His short poem, "Splitting Wood" inspired me to write my own verse about cutting beaver-chewed wood at my house.


O Billy, My Billy, you write your verse so well.

Your words are tight, your meter flows,

And your bald head's rather swell.


O Billy, My Billy, come split some wood with me.

The rats are back, they've got big teeth,

And they're chewing down my tree.


O some may say I'm weary, and others claim I'm mean,

But these beavers chew more of my wood

Than any rodents I have seen!


They chew a tree at midnight, and more wood as dawn nears,

But if I get my teeth on them

I'll kill the *^#@*&#! (no tears!)


O Billy, My Billy, let's see you write some verse

About a man who strangles rats

And turns their pelts to purse.


O Billy, My Billy, a beaver's blood is red,

And when I get my .22

Those *$#&^*! will be dead! (1)


(1) with apologies to Walt Whitman

No comments: