Monday, November 10, 2008

Secrets of the Vine

Last week I read Secrets of the Vine, by Bruce Wilkinson, a little book offering reflections on Jesus' teachings about the vine and branches in John. It's not a bad book, and it's a quick read, and Mr. Wilkinson seems to know his stuff as far as vineyards and grapes goes.

Vineyards are also somewhat romantic. Becky and I visited two vineyards on our trip to Galena, Illinois. I even wrote her a couple of poems to express my inexausible love.

Sure as the vine twines round the stump,
You are my darlin' sugar lump.

And this one:

Some grapes are red,
And none are blue,
And that is why,
I want to get you back to the hotel room and turn off the TV and light a candle and whisper in the darkness . . . you!

Well, I owe this last poem to e.e. cummings, I guess. I always loved his little initials.
thanks for reading this blog t.e. outcalt

1 comment:

Pam J said...

It's nice to know that you still try to have a romantic side after all these years. However, does it work? No matter, I'm just sure that Becky appreciates the effort anyway. Hope things are going well, sorry Nick and I couldn't make it out the other night. Hopefully we can get together during the Holidays.