Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My Charge Conference Report

Each year every United Methodist congregation has an annual "charge conference", traditionally held to review the year past, set goals for the next year, and officially set the pastors' salaries and the budget. Our charge conference for Calvary is tonight, but in lieu of filling out the obligatory paperwork and answering the same questions I am always charged to answer, I'm going to be a Maverick (and get all Mavericky with it!) and give my pastor's report via this blog. After all, we are now living in the computer age, and if anyone actually wants to read my little report, they can visit this blog with the click of a button instead of opening up a file cabinet drawer.

As I consider important events and moments in the life of our little congregation here in Brownsburg, a few big ideas come to mind.

First, this is a congregation with great spirit, unity, and mission. In the past year, we gave nearly 12% of our total income to ministry and mission beyond our own needs. We also started two new worship services, including a Saturday night service at 5 p.m. which will obviously meet a need. We are a large church, and we continue to embrace new families and people from all walks of life. Our membership is now over 800, we are approaching an average of 500 in worship. In 2008, we have already had 45+ professions of faith, so we are making new disciples, and we have baptized 31 people. And the year is not over yet. By 2010, we will be a 1000 member congregation, and our consitituency is now well over 1200 people.

I'm also reminded that every vineyard needs workers for the harvest. And here at Calvary we have a great staff. I mean, these people work hard, and some of them even like me! Without a team, ministry is just individual effort, and the fullness of our gifts and service don't blossom and bear fruit. So it does take a great staff to make a great church, and we are blessed at Calvary.

Calvary is also a church that is getting younger, so we are an anomaly when compared to most congregations. We have children, teens, and young adults who are not only attending, but active, serving, and involved in the life and leadership of the congregation at many levels. Of course, these changes challenge Calvary, too, but that's part of the wonderful and spirited conversation and work we are about.

Finally, on a personal note . . . yes, I did fulfill my continuing education for 2008. Heck, I read a bunch of books and I might even read a hundred titles by the end of the year. I'm in a clergy reading group and some of these people seem to like me, too. As for my health and well being, I eat a lot of donuts, drink a lot of coffee, and try to "stay in shape". In fact, I'd say I'm in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in! My wife takes good care of me in every other way ('nuff said) and she seems to like me, too, especially when I bring her flowers. She returns the favor by buying me boxes of glazed donuts.

Having said all of this, I hope to be at Calvary for a long time. I mean, someone's got to write this blog!

At the last, I'd also like to say that this whole faith in Jesus thing is a blast. I really love the Lord (no, really, he's a swell egg) and I love the people of Calvary. Both God and this congregation seem to accept me as I am, with all of my faults, failures, deficiencies, sins, and through all of my nerdy, Andy-Griffithesque ways.

Whew! Another Charge Conference over! The bishop is relieved. The DS is relieved. I''m relieved. Heck, let's all get some donuts!

No comments: