Sunday, November 30, 2008

Out of Business

After Thanksgiving, I happened to be driving through Terre Haute when I noted that another independent bookstore had gone out of business. It was a little shop on the corner that used to enjoy a unique clientele. More and more, only the big chains are left standing.

Conducting a book signing in this little store was always a treat for me. The owners were nice, and they would go out of their way to make an author feel comfortable.

"Can I get you anything?" they might ask.
"No, I'm fine," I'd say.
"Anything at all? Water, maybe?"
"Okay, I'll have some water."
"Cookie?"
"No, really, the water will do."
"Comfy?"
"The chair is fine, thanks. Just the water."
"I'll bring you a brownie, too," the owners would say. "A writer needs a brownie!"
"Thanks."
"And let us know if we can get you anything else."

Some customers would be nice! I never said it then, but I guess no book store can survive on just goodwill and brownies.

No comments: