Sunday, November 9, 2008

Journey to 100 (Books & Wieners)

I've lost count of the number of books I've read thus far in 2008, but believe I'm in the 75+ range. This means I may have to resort to reading poetry books if I'm going to reach my goal of 100 books in a year. Still, I'm on the verge of completing more books this weekend, and I also purchased a couple of humdingers at Barnes & Noble last Friday that I'm anxious to tackle.

Still, not that reading a book of poetry is easy . . . in actuality, poems are tough. Lots of pith there, and some poets are deep. I've got 3-5 books of poetry I plan to read before year end.

I also like to write poetry . . . especially haikus about hot dogs. Here's a triptych of hot dog poems that speak to the large bag of frozen wieners I'm storing in my freezer, and the fact that, this time of the year, at our house, we are still making outdoor fires for wiener roastin'.

(ONE)
Microwave, my son . . .
Set the timer on slow roast.
Who burned the weenie?

(TWO)
Hot dog on a plate,
Wow, that wiener really stinks!
See how it smolders.

(THREE)
Give it to the dog.
He eats food off the tile floor . . .
Just like your daddy!

No comments: