Friday, November 7, 2008

Friday Fun Day

It's Friday morning . . . and I get to write! In fact, I can write all day if I want. I can write all night. I can write until the wee hours of Saturday morning, and I might just do it.

This past week I've received a plethora of emails from editors requesting various pages from me. My editor at Abingdon has asked me to rewrite one last page for School's Out. I can do that. My editor at Sourcebooks sent me a giant attachment with the entire 260 page pre-set manuscript of my wedding book (and a publication date, May 2009). Am I going to read this book again now that it's done? Heck no, I can hardly stand to look at it and I've got other fish to fry. And finally, I've got invitations to send along two other book proposals, and I've got to get those all slickity-lookin' and professional. So . . . I've got a lot to do in a day.

As a bit of inspiration, last night I was reading a biographical piece about Joyce Carol Oates, probably the most prolific writer in America (bar none). Seems she can write up to ten hours a day (every day, seven days a week, 365 days a year) and she regards eating as a necessary evil. Now, I'm no Joyce Carol Oates (and I ain't Dan Quayle, either) but I regard eating as a necessary good.

Which reminds me . . . what am I going to fix myself for lunch today? Perhaps a little caviar on a cracker, or, well, maybe some Campbell's Soup. Ol' Dad has a few cans of that around, I'm sure. Gotta go now . . . the flickering screen with the electrical short-circuit is calling.

1 comment:

Diana Boss said...

We should all take time once in a while to have a fun day of creating and doing what we love best! A day to get an idea of how much fun God must have had when he created this awesome universe! Love this blog, Todd.