Monday, October 6, 2008

Finding Me in Starbucks

A couple of weeks ago I slid into Starbucks for a cup of coffee and, since I was waiting on a friend, meandered over to the corner to find a book. I happened to note one of the many Chicken Soup of the Soul Books published by my friends at HCI in Florida, and, when I opened it, I discovered that I was reading an essay I'd written some years back. Kind of odd, opening and book and finding my name there.

I don't remember when or where I wrote the essay, but I guess someone at HCI liked it enough to publish it, and I assume they paid me, but I don't remember that, either, so it must not have been much! I probably spent it all on donuts.

Anyway, I got to thinking about the many discoveries I would rather have made (other than seeing my name in print in Starbucks).

I would rather have found a big wad of sweaty bills on the floor crimped together with a rubber band. I would pocket the cash, go from table to table and ask: "Has anyone here lost a big sweaty wad of bills? If so, I found your rubber band!"

Or, I would rather have found a grande Vienna coffee on a table (perhaps someone left it there while visiting the restroom). I would drink it before they returned and say, "Oh, was that your coffee?"

Sometimes, it is actually fun being me. I hope to run into myself more often.

No comments: