Monday, August 25, 2008

My Writing Space #8



Mr. Stephen King and I have few things in common. Mr. King is a famous and successful author. I am an unknown unsuccessful author. Mr. King is suave and sophisticated. I am a hick.

However, Mr. King and I do have one thing in common. We both like to read. Here are some of the books in my office. These represent about a third of the books I own. I love to bring people into my office and show them my books. I like to hear them whisper, "This guy must be an intellectual giant . . . reading all these books!" But then I speak, and they realize that I am just a Hoosier dork who happens to have 2000 comic books on a shelf.

I have several of Mr. King's books on my shelf. Mr. King has none of my books. And if he did, that would certainly be a most frightening proposition!

3 comments:

Mark W said...

on"A library with no books could only be made worse by a library with a single Jane Austen book" Mark Twain.

I love Mark Twain. I'll have to read one of his books some time.

Do you have an Jane Austen books in your library?

Todd Outcalt said...

I'm looking over my shoulder right now and note that I have two: Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. I have a lot of Mark Twain, too. I'm going to combine both and write a story about a young woman floating down the Mississippi on a raft looking for her true love and trying to get in touch with her inner demons. I'll call it: Helen Finn.

Mark W said...

Helen Finn: Sounds like something from the Democratic National Convention.

Twain also said of Austen, "I can't believe those people let that woman die a natural death."

How about John Steinbeck? Do you have "Of Mice and Men?" My all time favorite book.