Sunday, August 17, 2008

My Writing Space #2


Since Stephen King is still going to create an interactive web site featuring his writing space, I couldn't resist beating him to the punch. Obviously, Mr. King has a great office in which to write and he is both neat and efficient. I, on the other hand, am a slob, as you can see.
My filing cabinet is filled with hanging files. These files are filled with dozens/hundreds of essays, short stories, book proposals, and other rejections, as well as book contracts and writing agreements. The piles on top of my filing cabinet are my notes, photocopies, and assorted books that I am using to write yet another book (which is scheduled for publication in early 2009).
Mr. King has a personal secretary who helps him sort notes and conduct research. He also has a secretary who can answer the phone and field multi-million-dollar calls and offers from Hollywood and New York. I have a dog who pukes on the couch when I am away from home and doesn't budge when the phone rings. My cell phone records voice mails from angry editors.
Mr. King has an immaculate filing system. I am still searching for the combination to a padlock I purchased in 1978 so I can ride my bicycle.
Mr. King has a filing cabinet loaded with book deals and movie rights. My filing cabinet contains book contracts that have enabled me to buy more floppies and half a ham sandwich.
I read Mr. King's books. Mr. King does not read my blog.
Come visit me tomorrow in my office, I have more junk to show you!

No comments: