Tuesday, August 12, 2008

More Benji

Last night, during the Olympics, I read another fifty pages of the biography, Benjamin Franklin: An American Life. My impression of Benji hasn't changed much (based on other bios of read about him). For a guy who looked like my aunt Hazel in a bad powdered wig, he sure did get around with the ladies. Seems like every few years, he was switching horses (my phrase, not Benji's).

I'm not sure that many of our founding "fathers" knew all that much about fidelity. Benji seemed to have a woman in every port and even by the time he became ambassodor to France (he was an old man by then) his prowess with the fairer sex was legendary.

Personally, if I ever go to France, I'm going with my wife. I'm not wearing a powdered wig. I'm wearing my own hair. I'm going to show my wife a good time.

This is going to happen in 2028! I hope my wife can hold out for a few more years.

2 comments:

Mark W said...

Mark Twain once said of Jane Austen, "Reading Pride and Prejudice made me want to dig up her grave and beat her over the skull with her own shin bone." I feel the same way about Benji after reading his 'autobiography'.

Mark W said...

...Mark Twain is my favorite author by the way, and I have never read one of his books, although I did visit a cave that carries his name in Hannibal, MO. Our mutual disdain for Jane Austen has made him my favorite.